Kensington Grace: A Birth Story (Part One)

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Our itty bitty baby doll. So small, but so long. 

Wednesday May 3rd. I was scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 8pm to begin my induction process. Daniel had a Wednesday night class that didn't let out until 9:50 so we packed up the car with my hospital bag and he took me to my parents house. The plan was for them to take me to the hospital, get me checked in and then Daniel would meet us there when he was done. I tried to stay as calm as possible, knowing that when I left our apartment it would be the last time without a teeny tiny babe. My mom and I watched movies and we went out for Mexican food for dinner. Around 6pm the hospitals charge nurse called to say that they had too many active labors and that they would need to push my induction. She told me to relax, get some sleep and expect a call from them around midnight or 1am to come get the process started. I managed to get about 3 hours of sleep before I was up checking my phone and waiting for the call...

Midnight came...and went. So did 1am, 2am, and 3am.

Finally around 4am I assumed the hospital forgot about me (up to this point they hadn't been the most organized) so I called labor and delivery and they asked me to be at the hospital by 5. This worked out fine for us, as we are just about 15 minutes away from the hospital and it gave me enough time to take a hot shower (best decision I made all morning) and have breakfast (second best decision I made all morning). 

Thursday May 4th. After we arrived at the hospital they admitted me right away and got me started on pitocin. I was only dilated to 1cm but I was 80% effaced so they decided to start the pitocin on a low dose to see where it got us. My doctor came in shortly after that and broke my water (hello, uncomfortable feeling) and I proceeded to get water ALL OVER the labor room floor. Thankful for a husband who doesn't mind cleaning up my messes. 

After that, Daniel decided to sleep a little bit more, and I watched movies while I waited for anything to happen (spoiler: nothing did for a very long time).

Eventually my parents came to the hospital. My mom was planning on being in the delivery room for the birth but until things got up and running my dad hung out with us as well. Daniel, my dad and I played monopoly and I kept getting myself into trouble because every time the nurses walked in to check on me I was laughing a little too much so they kept upping the dosage on my pitocin and by about halfway through monopoly my contractions were strong and consistent enough that I was ready for my epidural.

We called for the nurse, who went to get the anesthesiologist right away. He came in, had me sit on the edge of the bed and I began preparing myself for some pretty bad pain. Surprisingly, I hardly felt a thing. Which was great because I had to be stuck twice. The first time the needle tried going into a blood vessel, which is not the place you want it to be. Luckily, they check before they start administering the medicine and so he removed it and started again. That second time was a little bit more uncomfortable, but still didn't really hurt.

As soon as the epidural started kicking in, I kept asking my mom and Daniel to tell me when I was having contractions because I couldn't feel a thing. It was magical. At this point they checked me again and I was dilated to 4cm, and although we were moving along, I knew we still had a ways to go.

Four hours later, around 3pm or so, the nurse checked me one more time and saw that I was dilated to 9cm! I couldn't believe it, as I had expected it to be a good amount of time longer before we were that close. I couldn't get any rest so I hung out with my mom and Daniel, ate ice chips while we waited for the real fun to begin.

To Be Continued!

1 comment

  1. I was really surprised at the lack of pain from the epidural as well! For me it felt like a tiny bee sting.


Popular Posts

where to find me

Oh Dear, Abbey © . QUINN CREATIVES .