New Orleans Recap: Part One

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Nothing like a cold, rainy day to remind you that your weekend getaway is in fact over. Both Daniel and I had four-day weekends because of the Easter holiday and we try to take advantage of every time we have long weekends at the same time. We both flew into New Orleans around 6:30pm on Friday. Neither of us had ever been so we were looking forward to exploring something new. By the time we got checked into the hotel we were starving. We stayed at the Holiday Inn – Chateau Lemoyne in the French Quarter, which was just a block or two away from all the restaurant and bar madness that the area is so well known for.

For dinner, we stopped at a restaurant on Bourbon Street called Remoulade. I have wanted to try some of the iconic New Orleans drinks so I ordered a Pimm’s Cup. It was like a lemon-lime ginger ale and it was wonderful. Daniel shared the Pimm’s Cup with me and we started with a half dozen oysters. For my meal I ordered stuffed crab shells, which basically tasted like crab cakes that were baked directly into the shells. This was just the start to the literally ridiculous amount of food that we ate during the weekend. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere but it was so busy that we were yelling at each other across the table. After a little exploring, we decided we weren’t entirely up to taking part in the Bourbon Street festivities and we headed back to the hotel for some movies and an early night.

The next morning we got our start around 7:30am. There was only one thing on my mind, beignets.  We took the 10-minute walk down to CafĂ© Du Monde. It was literally the perfect way to start our Saturday morning. After breakfast we explored Jackson Square Park and some more of the French Quarter. I am obsessed with the architecture and the colors of the city, however, not so obsessed with the smell or with some of the things that we saw. I mean seriously, nothing says classy like seeing someone peeing on the wall outside your hotel at 11 in the morning.

By the time it got to around 11:30 Daniel was ready for more food. We got a recommendation from our hotel to go to a restaurant called The Ruby Slipper. I was still full from the beignets so I ordered myself one very delicious Bloody Mary, while Daniel ordered shrimp and grits.

At this point, all the walking back and forth was taking its toll on me so we headed back to the hotel for some pool time. The sun was out for just long enough that we got to soak up a little heat, which was nice because it rained on us for a portion of the morning. After our mini break we headed back out, this time all the way to the water. We watched some riverboats and checked out the scenery. Daniel succumbed to one of those daiquiri shops where they give you those silly 12-dollar plastic bottles filled with 150 proof rum and slushy’s. He chose an appletini, because he’s just that much of a man. We headed over to the French Market after this and treated ourselves to a pound of crawfish and another half dozen oysters. They were literally so fresh they were cracked open when we ordered them, I die.

After more walking around, we went back and changed before our night of ghost touring and, you guessed it, more food. We stopped at The Gumbo Shop for a small bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo. Afterwards we headed back to Jackson Square to meet up with our tour guide for our ghost tour. It was so much fun! We did the tour through this company, Free Tours by Foot. Basically, it’s a tour hour tour around the French Quarter where they tell some of the most fun ghost stories that date back centuries in the city. At the end, you pay what you can or you pay based on how well you think the tour guide did and our tour guide Sean was so enthusiastic and full of bad, but good, jokes that it made the whole thing well worth it.

Finally, we ended the night at the Hotel Monteleone where we checked out the carousel bar. It was beautiful inside but also very busy so we took ourselves over to the in house restaurant, Criollo, for some dessert and drinks. I tried the fleur de lis, which my mom described to me before my trip as a summers day. She was right! It had cucumber and lemon and gin and it was so sweet and refreshing. Daniel ordered a Sazerac, which is a famous New Orleans drink of whiskey and lemon juice. Not his favorite thing in the world, but still worth trying. For our dessert we ordered the bread pudding with white chocolate, caramel sauce and fresh berries.

After the amazing-ness that was this day, I basically crawled back to the hotel in a food coma. Now that I’ve made myself hungry again, I should probably stop with the first part of this recap. More to come later this week! Happy Tuesday, guys!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

where to find me

Oh Dear, Abbey © . QUINN CREATIVES .